Monday, February 27, 2012

Tiny Roses

tiny felt roses
My grand daughter, Leah, spent the day with us yesterday while part of the family gathered to watch the car races. She loves having what she calls a shing dig and she loves serving munchies. That is,for the most part, finger foods.Not really a sit down meal, but things you can pick up with you fingers and walk around with while you eat.We manage to compile plenty of munchies which she carried, one bowl at a time,out to Pop's  "pouting room" (the garage) where the rest were anxiously waiting to watch the race.She loves serving folks,too.When she had a free minute, she was sitting in the middle of the kitchen floor, making jewelry for some of her little friends at school. She had made herself a bracelet last week, with beads she found in my craft room, and some of her friends gave her orders for one of their own.I think she had about 4 requests, but only got 2 completed this weekend. The other two will have to wait another week, at least. I had made up a few little tags the day or so before, so I let her use a couple of them. I showed her how to type up the words to go on the tag s in a pretty font.She wrote....This bracelet was made for you by Leah Painter 2012.....then we shrank the words and printed them out in a pretty red font,cut them tiny and glued them on the name tags I had made earlier.
Leah's tags for her home made bracelets.Sorry. I failed to get a picture of the little bracelets.
I can hardly wait to  hear the reaction she got from her friends on the bracelets. I told her she might be a "trend setter" in her school. I also explained to her that her friends could ,hopefully,persuade their parents to take them to Walmart or Michael's and buy them some beads to make more jewelry for themselves and their friends.Leah agreed with me on the fact that many parents don't spend enough quality time with their kids teaching them such things as this.Leah never knew about the beads until now and she is 11. It's a great past time for little girls her age.Something they can wear and show off to their friends.Leah made hers in blue and white. She loves the Kentucky Wildcats. Another friend likes Louisville so her bracelet was in red.
The following day, I took the time to work with the tiny roses for some future tags. I decided to make them from felt, although there are multiple materials one could use to create all type of flowers. I have pictured the different steps I used to make the roses.

cut the felt in narrow strips
notch the tiny strips on one side and round off the corners on the ends

run a tiny line of glue along the strip and roll up like a jelly roll then set it aside to dry
cut your green felt into tiny squares rounding each one off in the shape of a leaf.Put a tiny dab of glue on one end and pinch the leaf together on that one end.When the leaf dries, glue one or two onto the tiny rose. Now they are ready to attach to your project. In this case ,my tags.Use your imagination as to what else would look pretty with the rose.Baby's breath, a ribbon,some lace,etc.Let your imagination run wild.

No comments:

Post a Comment